• Home page
  • News
  • RCC opens in Slovyansk a rehabilitation center for people with war trauma...

RCC opens in Slovyansk a rehabilitation center for people with war trauma

25.04.2017, 10:41
On April 24, 2017, a psychological rehabilitation center PROMYR intended for people with trauma of war was opened in Slovyansk. The event gathered many guests not only from Donetsk region. Attending the opening were MPs of Ukraine Hanna Hopko, Commissioner of the President of Ukraine for Children's Rights, Chairman of the Initiatives “Pope for Ukraine” Bishop Jan Sobilo.

On April 24, 2017, a psychological rehabilitation center PROMYR intended for people with trauma of war was opened in Slovyansk. The event gathered many guests not only from Donetsk region. Attending the opening were MPs of Ukraine Hanna Hopko, Commissioner of the President of Ukraine for Children's Rights, Chairman of the Initiatives “Pope for Ukraine” Bishop Jan Sobilo.

The center, which was financed by the Catholic Church, was opened on a landmark day - a year ago, on April 24, 2016 all Catholic churches in Europe held a fundraiser to help Ukraine, declared by Pope Francis.

“It is a great honor for us that the opening of the center coincided with this date and we can once again thank Pope Francis,” said Tetiana Aslanian, CSO PROMYR head. “Thanks to a grant received through the Initiative “Pope to Ukraine,” PROMYR could buy all the necessary equipment for the treatment and rehabilitation of children and adults: sensory equipment rooms, bright furniture, drums, mirrors, office equipment. This is a unique way to help people who have experienced trauma, art therapy, game-based rehabilitation that children enjoy so much and the technology is a truly innovative. Thanks to the Pope’s funding a new life was breathed in this walls. And this is exactly what you need to develop in our region - a space of comfort, safety and joy.”

Welcoming the guests of event, Bishop Jan Sobilo conveyed them the blessing of the Holy Father and said that such initiatives evoke much joy in Pope Francis, because here his dream is being realized:

“Among us there are many Christians: Orthodox, Protestants, Catholics. God is one and we are all one family, his children. Here, in PROMYR, this unity can be experienced. I am very happy and I will convey my joy to Pope Francis through the Apostolic Nuncio, because here in Slovyansk the dream of the Pope is being realized. He prays now especially intensively and is deeply concerned about children affected by military operations around the world. He never forgets Ukraine and all of you residing in eastern Ukraine,” said the Chairman of the Technical Committee of the Initiative “Pope for Ukraine.”

MP of Ukraine Anna Hopko also greeted the participants and guests of the event, stressing that one of the center’s main objectives is to transmit love and care of neighbor as God teaches us. The MP wished to all the event’s guests more faith, because it helps one win more victories in life.

“I also want to extend my special gratitude to Pope Francis and say that for us it is very important that this aid is spent on specific initiatives of local activists that we see here. I hope that in these areas people will find support, self-confidence, internal capabilities. And restoring their soul, they will also be able to recover the entire region of Donbas, which is important for us. I really admire those people who are able to genuinely help others and treat other people's hearts through love. Only through the philosophy of great love we can build Donbass - sincere, Ukrainian, and valuable - that no one will ever be able to conquer,” said Anna Hopko.

Presidential Commissioner for Children’s Rights Mykolai Kuleba specially arrived in Slovyansk to to join the celebrations of the opening of the center PROMYR.

“The willingness to do something of value for others - this can be realized. I am very pleased that church and state and non-governmental sector joined efforts and this is an example of how we can build a new country and help our children.”

Olena Rozvadovska, one of the masterminds of PROMYR center, who is also called its ambassador, says that together with a team of psychologists they keep dreaming that such centers appear along the boundary line, and the lives of people that were put on pause because of the war, continued and they could find internal resources for recovery.

Bishop Jan Sobilo, head of the Initiative “Pope for Ukraine,” hopes: this cooperation that started between the Initiative “Pope for Ukraine” and the project PROMYR in Slovyansk will continue and bear fruit as early as possible to restore peace in the entire longsuffering region.