• Home page
  • News
  • Gorbachev was God’s instrument in USSR demise, former dissident says...

Gorbachev was God’s instrument in USSR demise, former dissident says

02.03.2016, 12:11
It was not Mikhail Gorbachev who ruined the Soviet Union. It was the act of God. General Secretary of the CPSU was only an instrument in His hands.

It was not Mikhail Gorbachev who ruined the Soviet Union. It was the act of God. General Secretary of the CPSU was only an instrument in His hands.

Myroslav Marynovych, human rights activist, journalist, and religious scholar said it on March 2, in the comments to ZIK news agency. It should be noted that on March 2, Mikhail Gorbachev celebrates his 85th birthday anniversary.

Myroslav Marynovych said that Lord worked great things through the figure of Gorbachev and with his hands.

“It (the demise of the USSR - Ed.) was not the merit of Gorbachev. He wanted to save the system, make it more humane and get it out of a nose dive. He failed”, said Marynovych.

“Gorbachev is a man of the dramatic twists of fate. It is not him that I thank for the demise of the Soviet Union but God. Gorbachev was only an instrument.”

He noted that all the moments in the life of the last general secretary of the CPSU, and his later interview demonstrate that in fact he was not ready for the role he played.

“However, it does not reduce my sense of gratitude to God and his instrument (Gorbachev - Ed.). Some steps on his part turned nice things to me. In particular, I was released two years earlier; the space for liberation of Ukraine was opened. This involves some great historical role of Gorbachev,” said human rights activist.

According to him, today the openly anti-Ukrainian statements by Gorbachev are not surprising, because it was not him who destroyed the USSR. It was God who acted with his hands.

“Gorbachev is a typical Soviet, and now Russian political figure. In recent years he has attempted at slightly criticizing Putin as he understands how the situation develops. But it is clear that he will not defend Ukraine. For the Gorbachev, and the demise of the Union and the Belavezha Accords are his personal tragedy,” Marynovych said.