Svyatohirsk Lavra meets first refugees from Avdiyivka

02.02.2017, 10:26
On February 1, 80 refugees, mostly children, arrived in the Holy Dormition Svyatohirsk Lavra.

On February 1, 80 refugees, mostly children, arrived in the Holy Dormition Svyatohirsk Lavra.

It was reported by the Information and Education Department of the UOC (MP).

Among the refugees were 47 school-age children, 11 preschool age children, and 20 adults.

In Svyatohirsk Lavra they were welcomed by Archimandrite Feofan (Lyukshyn), Treasurer of Svyatohirsk Lavra, representatives of the Lavra administrations and Slovyansk city administration, the police, and the head of the UNCHR Kharkiv Field Office.

The refugees were shown to the pilgrims’ refectory, where they had a lunch prepared by monks. Thereafter, the IDPs went to the recreation center “Pearl of Donbass”, the monastic refectory provided them with several trays of pies for their travel.

According to the health worker, who accompanied the people from Avdiyivka, “children are having hard times now: no light, no heat, schools and kindergartens are closed because there is no heating.”

According to the woman, from September of the previous year the things had been getting better until Sunday when a powerful attacks began, particularly difficult was the day before the departure.

“And today the evacuation was spontaneous and swift, I was told to get ready immediately and accompany the children, I did not have time to take my passport, then I was traveling and felt uneasy about it. Many thanks to all who helped to bring the kids!”

Archimandrite Feofan explained the situation: "The city administration appealed to Sviatohirsk monks of the monastery and asked to participate in the reception of refugees, and, of course, we immediately responded to this request."
Fr. Feofan stated the readiness of Svyatohirsk Lavra to help IDPs in the future, to provide all possible assistance and participate in solving current problems: “we pray for all those people who are in trouble, and we are ready to do our best to support them in may feel the need.”