• Home page
  • News
  • Orphan home “Sails of Hope” solemnly reopened in Slavyansk...

Orphan home “Sails of Hope” solemnly reopened in Slavyansk

09.12.2014, 10:39
Orphan home “Sails of Hope” solemnly reopened in Slavyansk - фото 1

Through the hard work of dozens of volunteers and hundreds of donors from across the country the orphan home “Sails of Hope” was restored at last. Only in six months the dilapidated shelter for children in Slavyansk was not only redecorated but fully repaired. And on Saturday, December 6, its grand opening, was held, about which we were told by the mission initiator Igor Prus.

Дитбудинок.jpgOver this long period  of six months  volunteers and ministers succeeded to completely restore the children's center. It began not only with renovation of walls, but with a fundamental reconstruction of the building, which was in much worse condition than it first seemed. But now a new heating system has been made for the children with the use of insulation materials and hot water boilers.

“It is difficult to at least estimate an approximate amount of money,” says Igor. “We received lots of finished materials and things we needed. Thus, the  wallpaper and window manufacturers have provided material which was enough for all rooms. One day, a truck full of mattresses for each bed arrived and we weren’t askedany documents. People gave laptops for Graphic classes, plasma TVs, pictures they painted and so on. This is a joint work of all of us.”

Дитбудинок_5.jpgA considerable amount of work remains for the spring, but it does not frightenthe renovator team any longer. In particular, they will be engagedwith landscape gardening around the house, playground, fence and lighting. Now it is difficult to recognize the house– it became colorful, all repairs have been made using the latest materials. Each room is quite different in style, so that children do not mix their rooms.

On the opening day the organizers staged a celebration not only for children and a team of assistants, sponsors and volunteers, but also for local residents. Igor Prus stresses that the practical participation ofdonors and not just topping up the credit card is important, so they can experience the results of their work.

“I did not expect such a conclusion. It's the same situation as the Jews had at the Red Sea, which parted in front of them. I had a fear that we won’t cope, that the work multiplied and the money was not enough. However, the solution was found and it was just incredible. I wept with joy at the opening. I thank God that I could be an instrument in His hands” Igor concluded.

The organizers convey special gratitude to architect Elena Starovoit, owing to whom the house acquired fabulous look and conveys a festive feeling. Fun atmosphere inside the building was created by a team of artists, especially Margaret Kiseleva and Yana Masnytska.

According to Igor Prus, the service won’t stop with this. Now a team of volunteers helps the elderly,  the disabled, the children and orphans that have been left in the East. This aid will be provided on applications from them, mainly food and medicines. He asked all those who cares to get involved. You can write to the "Sails of Hope” (www.facebook.com/SailsofHoperecovery?fref=ts) or directly to Igor Prus (www.facebook.com/igor.surf?fref=ts).

Note that at the beginning of the process of rebuilding the children's center we talked with the organizers of the mission. You can read here about the conversation.