- Expеrt opinion
- Religious studies
- Religions in Ukraine
- About Us
Appeal from Patriarch Filaret to Yanukovych and Protesters: Society on Verge of Civil War
21 January 2014, 11:41 | National religious question | | 2 | | Code for Blog | |
Patriarch Filaret of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patrairchate (UOC-KP) January 21, 2014, published a statement on the current situation in Ukraine entitled “Remember Your Personal Responsibility.”
The UOC-KP patriarch called the current crisis the worst in the time since Ukraine gained its independence in 1991.
“In two months Ukraine is not close to overcoming the crisis, but on the contrary the conflict has only exacerbated. The first reason for this is the lack of a genuine dialogue between the sides of the conflict and the lack of concrete steps for the peaceful resolution of problems that have arisen. Instead of a dialogue, violence is escalating... More people are starting to think that methods of peaceful, non-violent resistance are ineffective ... Society is on the verge of civil war. Therefore, the church urges the president as head of state and the opposition to initiate direct, and most importantly fruitful, negotiations to get out of the crisis,” reads the statement by the head of the UOC-KP.
Patriarch Filaret appeals to:
– The protesters and armed government representatives, as well as those who give them orders: “Each of you will be responsible before God for your words and actions, for bloodshed and injury. No one can escape from this responsibility, no one will be freed!”
– Viktor Yanukovych: by law and the position that you occupy you have the most power and authority in the country, so the measure of your accountability is the highest. I urge you to choose a blessed peacekeeping path, not the path of force!
– To all believers: Pray for Ukraine, for the reconciliation of the warring sides, for overcoming strife.
Patriarch heads to Niagara for rare visit | 24 February 2017, 13:05 | Ukrainians outside of Ukraine
Vatican’s appeal in the UN about Ukraine is the diplomatic position of the Holy See, Nuncio Gugerotti | 23 February 2017, 12:22 | International relations
UGCC parish in Chicago collects half a million dollars for wounded soldiers | 23 February 2017, 10:41 | Ukrainians outside of Ukraine
A group of Hasid-pilgrims from around the world visits Brody, Lviv region | 23 February 2017, 10:10 | Religious ceremonies and pilgrimage
Help stop war in Ukraine, aid children in need, head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church issued a statement | 22 February 2017, 19:04 | UGCC
- 20 February 2017, 18:48 |
- 20 February 2017, 11:06 |
- 18 February 2017, 18:31 |
- 17 February 2017, 18:00 |
- 15 February 2017, 22:45 |
Most Popular Articles month
14 February 2017, 14:40 | Interchurch relations | 20 February 2017, 18:48
2 February 2017, 10:01 | Interview | 7 February 2017, 20:02
1 February 2017, 11:10 | Church-state relations | 5 February 2017, 20:55
29 January 2017, 09:27 | Apostolic Nunciatura | 31 January 2017, 20:05
13 February 2017, 11:04 | Religion and policy | 14 February 2017, 22:08