- Expеrt opinion
- Religious studies
- Religions in Ukraine
- About Us
Appeal from Patriarch Filaret to Yanukovych and Protesters: Society on Verge of Civil War
21 January 2014, 11:41 | National religious question | | 2 | | Code for Blog | |
Patriarch Filaret of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patrairchate (UOC-KP) January 21, 2014, published a statement on the current situation in Ukraine entitled “Remember Your Personal Responsibility.”
The UOC-KP patriarch called the current crisis the worst in the time since Ukraine gained its independence in 1991.
“In two months Ukraine is not close to overcoming the crisis, but on the contrary the conflict has only exacerbated. The first reason for this is the lack of a genuine dialogue between the sides of the conflict and the lack of concrete steps for the peaceful resolution of problems that have arisen. Instead of a dialogue, violence is escalating... More people are starting to think that methods of peaceful, non-violent resistance are ineffective ... Society is on the verge of civil war. Therefore, the church urges the president as head of state and the opposition to initiate direct, and most importantly fruitful, negotiations to get out of the crisis,” reads the statement by the head of the UOC-KP.
Patriarch Filaret appeals to:
– The protesters and armed government representatives, as well as those who give them orders: “Each of you will be responsible before God for your words and actions, for bloodshed and injury. No one can escape from this responsibility, no one will be freed!”
– Viktor Yanukovych: by law and the position that you occupy you have the most power and authority in the country, so the measure of your accountability is the highest. I urge you to choose a blessed peacekeeping path, not the path of force!
– To all believers: Pray for Ukraine, for the reconciliation of the warring sides, for overcoming strife.
Pope to visit Sweden for the Lutheran-Catholic Joint Commemoration of the Reformation | 27 September 2016, 14:50 | Vatican
Ukrainian Orthodox Community of Genk (Belgium) Celebrates 30th Anniversary of Consecration | 27 September 2016, 14:34 | Ukrainians outside of Ukraine
Lukashenko in favor of more active involvement of church in social processes | 26 September 2016, 11:27 | Church-state relations |
Roma Victims Remembered at Babyn Yar | 24 September 2016, 14:57 | National religious question | |
Migration - the main topic of Ecumenical Social Week in Lviv | 23 September 2016, 16:02 | Announcements |
- 25 September 2016, 10:14 |
- 25 September 2016, 10:12 |
- 24 September 2016, 23:22 |
- 24 September 2016, 17:30 |
- 22 September 2016, 21:05 |
Most Popular Articles month
6 September 2016, 12:27 | Church-state relations | 21 September 2016, 13:12
12 September 2016, 10:00 | Religious relations | 12 September 2016, 19:06
9 September 2016, 11:07 | Church-state relations | 15 September 2016, 08:32
18 September 2016, 11:09 | National religious question | 20 September 2016, 15:39
20 September 2016, 11:24 | International relations | 22 September 2016, 11:43