- Expеrt opinion
- Religious studies
- Religions in Ukraine
- About Us
Appeal from Patriarch Filaret to Yanukovych and Protesters: Society on Verge of Civil War
21 January 2014, 11:41 | National religious question | | 2 | | Code for Blog | |
Patriarch Filaret of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyivan Patrairchate (UOC-KP) January 21, 2014, published a statement on the current situation in Ukraine entitled “Remember Your Personal Responsibility.”
The UOC-KP patriarch called the current crisis the worst in the time since Ukraine gained its independence in 1991.
“In two months Ukraine is not close to overcoming the crisis, but on the contrary the conflict has only exacerbated. The first reason for this is the lack of a genuine dialogue between the sides of the conflict and the lack of concrete steps for the peaceful resolution of problems that have arisen. Instead of a dialogue, violence is escalating... More people are starting to think that methods of peaceful, non-violent resistance are ineffective ... Society is on the verge of civil war. Therefore, the church urges the president as head of state and the opposition to initiate direct, and most importantly fruitful, negotiations to get out of the crisis,” reads the statement by the head of the UOC-KP.
Patriarch Filaret appeals to:
– The protesters and armed government representatives, as well as those who give them orders: “Each of you will be responsible before God for your words and actions, for bloodshed and injury. No one can escape from this responsibility, no one will be freed!”
– Viktor Yanukovych: by law and the position that you occupy you have the most power and authority in the country, so the measure of your accountability is the highest. I urge you to choose a blessed peacekeeping path, not the path of force!
– To all believers: Pray for Ukraine, for the reconciliation of the warring sides, for overcoming strife.
- 15 December 2014, 20:13 |
- 15 December 2014, 09:41 |
- 13 December 2014, 17:35 |
- 12 December 2014, 21:29 |
- 9 December 2014, 20:23 |
Unknown threw two Molotov cocktails into the UGCC church in Kyiv | 18 December 2014, 15:01 | Scandals, crime |
Cardinal Parolin Met With John Kerry. Discussed Guantanamo Bay detention center, Ebola and situation in Ukraine | 16 December 2014, 11:23 | International relations |
Cardinal Husar visited IDPs in Kyiv | 16 December 2014, 10:36 | Charity, social service |
UOC-KP Synod criticizes UOC (MP) leaders: still silent on Russian aggression against Ukraine | 15 December 2014, 10:17 | UOC KP |
Metropolitan Onufriy ordered all dioceses to remember Patriarch Kirill during worship | 14 December 2014, 10:23 | Religious ceremonies and pilgrimage |
Most Popular Articles month
8 December 2014, 09:22 | Inter-Orthodox relations | 9 December 2014, 20:23
24 November 2014, 11:38 | International relations | 25 November 2014, 11:11
12 December 2014, 12:47 | Temples, church property | 13 December 2014, 17:35
3 December 2014, 15:08 | Interchurch relations | 4 December 2014, 23:17
14 December 2014, 10:23 | Religious ceremonies and pilgrimage | 15 December 2014, 09:41